Sunday, February 21, 2010

Roasted chicken legs with black bean marinade

I actually remembered to marinade something last week (I feel so proud!). The marinade itself was a simple mix of black bean garlic sauce, olive oil, lime juice, and chili garlic paste. I was a bit worried that the lime juice might make the mix too acidic - the last think I wanted was to roast already-cooked chicken.

I've not been cooking of late. My choice in meals have had less to do with nutrition and more to do with quick, hot, and full of protein. I have been trying to reduce the amount I buy - and use up what I do. Black bean garlic sauce is a truly amazing flavour, but there are very few recipes that use it.

I skinned the chicken legs (ew!) and then coated them with the marinade. I wrapped them up and put them in the fridge overnight. I've made this recipe before, but never with so long a marinading time. The extra time in the freezer was worth the wait.

By the next morning my fridge smelled pretty garlic-y, and by evening it was time to get roasting.

I roasted the chicken at 375 F for 50 minutes, turning the chicken once. I served it with some pre-bought risotto balls, spaghetti sauce, and salad. It was delicious.

Roasted chicken with black bean marinade
It's a great and tasty meal for a weeknight. The preparation can be done the night before, so all you have to do is come home and cook.

Ingredients:
  • 12 bone-in chicken thighs or 6 legs with thighs
Marinade:
  • 2 tablespoons Black Bean Garlic Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Thai Chili Garlic Paste, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
Directions
  1. Remove the skin and trim all visible fat from the chicken.
  2. Mix marinade ingredients, then put the chicken pieces in a single layer inside a dish. Cover with marinade (on both sides) and let marinate for 6 hours or more in the refrigerator.
  3. When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 325 F.
  4. Arrange the chicken on a roasting pan, keeping as much marinade clinging to the chicken as you can.
  5. Roast about 50 minutes, turning several times and baste often.
  6. When the chicken registers an internal temperature of at least 165 F, it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment