Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Menu for the week of October 13th

My menu plan isn't all that planned out this week.
SaturdayGreek (take out).
Sunday3-Amigos (Dining out)
MondayVinni Gambini (Dining out)
Tuesday
Roast Chateaubriand, steamed green beans, baked potato, and salad with red wine vinaigrette
WednesdayChicken & bean fajitas
ThursdayMarinated butcher's block steak with smashed rosemary potatoes
FridayRed wine and beef stew with vegetables

Tuesday's meal is easy, if not quick. The secret is to start with a good piece of meat and a lot of time. I usually cover it with low-salt steak spice and put some garlic and red wine in the pan beneath. Then I throw it in the oven with some potatoes and let it cook. I had friends over, so I wanted something tasty but simple for dinner (which gave me time to clean my apartment and chase down the dust-bunnies!).

Wednesday's meal is a staple for me. I rarely go by a recipe anymore (as I already have my taco seasonings combined in a bottle on my shelf). This recipe works well with either fresh cooked chicken or leftovers, and freezes well. I tend to make extra and bag it. That way I can thaw the ingredients, and then add the filling to the salsa, cheese, and sour cream inside a warm tortilla.

Thursday's meal is another staple. The marinade is mostly red wine, some fresh herbs and garlic. Typically I marinade the steak overnight. Smashed potatoes are what I call baked potatoes that I then turn into a rough form of mash with herbbed butter.

Friday more people are coming in, so I'll make an old favorite of a stew in the crockpot.