- Measuring spoons and cups.
- Paring knife and cutting board.
- Can opener.
- Skillet (to brown the meat).
- Plate with paper towel (to drain the meat).
I keep consomme in my freezer whenever I can, store-brought broth can be used instead. Fresh tomatoes can be used, but you’ll have to dip them in boiling water to remove their skins before adding them to the recipe. I prefer to cut up my tomatoes before adding them.
|2 tablespoons||garlic, minced|
|1 large||onion, chopped finely|
|1 (28 ounce) can||tomatoes (undrained)|
|1 ¾ cups||water|
|30 ounces||beef consomme, undiluted|
|1-2 tablespoons||worcestershire sauce|
|5-6 stalks||celery, chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon||Each: thyme, oregano, rosemary, and basil|
|black pepper, to taste|
|grated Parmesan cheese, optional, to taste|
- Brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic. Drain well.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese, and turn the crockpot on low for 6 hours (or high for 3).
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper just before serving.