Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Beef fajitas for 3, spanish rice and guacamole

Beef fajitas are one of those recipes that I tend to make when I don't really want to cook. Funny, because it still involves a lot of cutting, measuring, and the like. But I've made it so often that I can almost make it with my eyes closed (but then I'd probably cut myself and that would be bad).

So, with company coming, I set to work preparing the meal.

First I made spanish rice.

I diced up a red onion (I didn't have any others, so red it would be), and put half in a pot with a nob of butter. Once the foam subsided I added a cup a rice and stirred it. This toasts the rice and provides it some initial flavour. Then I added some chicken stock (freshly thawed in the microwave) and some pureed tomatoes (canned diced tomatoes pureed with an immersion blender). I then covered the pot and brought it to a boil. Once boiling, I lowered the heat, set the timer and promptly forgot about it.

By then, my guest had arrived and joined me in the kitchen. We chatted as I dug out my favourite frying pan. I coated the bottom with a teaspoon of olive oil, and tossed in strips of sandwich steak to fry. As the meat cooked I diced a clove of garlic, mixed it with 1 rounded tablespoon of cumin and half a tablespoon of chili pepper, and added that and the remaining half of red onion in with the meat. I cleaned, and cut a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper into strips and added that to the hot pan.I stirred the mixture to coat everything with the spices and meat juice equally. Then I added a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and a cup of medium salsa to the mix. I stirred it again and let it cook until the rice was done.

I mixed another crushed and diced clove of garlic along with two tablespoons of crushed tomatos and two avocado's, adding another heaping teaspoon of cumin as I stirred. Once the lumps were mostly gone (or at least very small), I stopped and set it aside.

Taking out a second (and smaller) frying pan, I turned on the heat and cooked the corn tortillas until they were soft and pliable (8 seconds according to the package, less time in my experience). I then added a small amount of sour cream, an equal dollup of guacamole, a pinch of cheese and a ladel-ful of fajita mix. I then folded the hot tortilla around the mess and placed it seam side down onto the plate.

Three of these plus a third of the rice and another tablespoon of guacamole made the meal. It was delicious.

Beef fajitas

Serves 6.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs sandwich steak (preferably lean)
  • 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green) cut into slices
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced (I used red)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili pepper
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup guacamole
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions
  1. Coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil.
  2. Cut the sandwich steak into strips and add them to the hot pan.
  3. Mix the garlic, cumin and chili pepper together and add that to the pan, stir well to incorporate.
  4. Cut the bell peppers into strips and add them to the pan. Stir well.
  5. Mix the salsa and Worcestershire sauce together. Add them to the pan. Stir well.
  6. Cook until the meat is cooked, the onions are nearly transulcent, and the peppers still crunchy.
  7. Heat the tortillas slightly.
  8. Fill in the following order: sour cream, guacamole, cheddar cheese, fajita mix.
  9. Fold the tortilla and serve.

Spanish rice

Serves 3.

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, optional.
Directions
  1. Put the butter in a hot pan. Add the onion and the rice and stir to mix.
  2. Once the onion starts to become translucent, add the tomato sauce and chicken stock.
  3. Stir well.
  4. Turn up the heat and wait for the liquid to boil.
  5. Once boiling, cover and cook for the duration recommended for your rice.
  6. Serve hot with a bit of cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment