Monday, April 27, 2009

Menu plan for the week of April 26th, 2009

Another week of trying to buy as little as possible and eat meals derived primarily from my pantry. As much as I wish I could say this was brought about by the success of the Eat down the fridge attempt, it's really driven by a desire to save money.

My CSA box will arrive this week, and I suspect I shall have to do something with the accumulation of onions, beets, and potatoes. Onions and potatoes I can deal with as there's definitely soup to be made this weekend; but I rarely eat beets (other than pickled). So, I'm off to scour the internet for a good recipe. Ideally I'll find a crunchy pickled beet recipe that I can make en mass, and give away to friends and family as gifts. Oh, and eat some too. :)

As always, I shop on Saturday. What follows is a plan that (to date) never quite comes out. I suspect I'll be waylaid by at least one dinner invitation (possibly two, we'll see). But my grocery list was designed around this menu, so if I don't make it this week--I'll probably make it next.

Sunday

Breakfast: Fried egg sandwich, all dressed & tea
Lunch: Gyro pita, diet coke.
Dinner: Hamburgers, all dressed

Monday
Breakfast: Cereal, skim milk, strawberries & 1/2 banana
Lunch: 3 carnitas enchiladas, cheese, spaghetti sauce, diet coke
Dinner: BBQ chicken with steamed green beans & baked potato/sweet potato
Snacks: 1 apple, 1 med zucchini, 3 stalks celery, hummus

Tuesday
Breakfast: Cereal, skim milk, 1/2 banana
Lunch: 3 carnitas enchiladas, cheese, spaghetti sauce, diet coke
Dinner: Lemon pepper salmon with basmati rice, green salad and red wine vinagrette
Snacks: 1 apple, crackers & cheese, cottage cheese

Wednesday
Breakfast: Toast, almond butter, 1 apple
Lunch: BBQ chicken, steamed rice, steamed vegetables
Dinner: Chicken shawarma with lemony couscous and steamed vegetables
Snacks: 1 med zucchini, 3 stalks celery, hummus, yogurt & flax seed

Thursday
Breakfast: Toast, almond butter, 1 apple
Lunch: Lemon pepper salmon, steamed rice, broccoli
Dinner: Sesame beef with stir-fry vegetables & basmati rice
Snacks: 1c pineapple, crackers & cheese, yogurt & flax seed

Friday
Breakfast: Toast, almond butter, 1 apple
Lunch: Basmati rice, steamed vegetables & tinned lemony pepper tuna
Dinner: Chicken piccata with artichoke hearts, Spatzle
Snacks: 1c pineapple, crackers & cheese, yogurt & flax seed