Serves: 6 (1 1/2 cups each)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Measuring cups & spoons.
- Cutting board & knife.
- Dutch Oven.
- Stirring spoon.
The original recipe used canned beef broth and onion soup mix. Both taste good, but I wanted something lower in salt. So, I switched to chicken broth and real onion. I also reduced the amount of butter down to a tablespoon (from 2). I had 2 cups of rice (cooked in chicken broth) in my fridge - so I added it to the soup to positive effect.
- 38-ounces frozen meatballs
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 carrot(s), thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 26-ounces (6 cups) chicken broth, fat removed, low-sodium
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1/2 teaspoon fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1/2 the butter.
- Sauté the onion until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Add the carrots and celery, and continue to sauté for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add all the other ingredients except the meatballs and the cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add meatballs; cover and simmer meatball soup 10 minutes longer.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.