Last weekend's grocery receipt (compared against a few older ones) shows a few things I regularly get.
- Hot cereal mixes.
- Snack bars.
- Instant meals.
- Flavored yogurt.
- Drinks (chocolate milk, juices, sodas, etc).
- Taco mix, or sauce.
- Junk food.
Most of these things I can either make at home or just do without. Breaking the soda habit is a hard one. We're going to try to wean ourselves off both soda and junk food. This is not going to be easy; and to help I have to come up with interesting snacks for daily consumption that are portable.
Step 1. Sauces
I have a great recipe for taco mix. I need to make that up this weekend. Fortunately I have most of the ingredients.
I'll have to make more chicken broth next week (as this Friday's meal will probably take all I have). And I should make up some Diabetic vegetable stock as I'm all out.
Step 2. Snacks
I read somewhere that you should always reward yourself. When trying to stay healthy - that does limit my choices.
Snacks for this week:
- 100mL sugar-free fruit yogurt + ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup frozen berries + 1/3 cup cottage cheese - just me
- 1 oz Cheese + small fruit
- 2 sticks Celery + 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 4 Carrot sticks
- 1/2 cup Fruit salad (apples, pears, bananas, grapefruit, melon)
Check out Meal Outlaw for my menu plan.
I barely know which way to go to get to the kitchen in the morning; so instead of setting a specific meal for a specific day, I'll just list the options here in three categories: Planned (must prepare the night before or get up early), backup (used most often when I sleep in), Quick (for when we're running late).
- Planned: Eggs and chicken bacon
- Planned: Cream of wheat & cinnamon sugar & fruit salad
- Backup: Oatmeal & fruit salad
- Quick: Cold cereal, milk & bananas
- Quick: Toast, natural peanut butter & bananas
Same categories as for breakfast. Most lunches are planned, but we don't always have leftovers (even if I plan for them), so sometimes I need to use a backup and sometimes there's not even time for the backup.
- Planned: Leftovers, small salad, 15ml dressing, fruit, 257mL diet soda
- Backup: 1/2 Chicken sandwich (on whole wheat with light mayo, pepper & lettuce), carrots & celery, soup
- Quick: PB&J, carrots & celery, 257mL diet soda
- Celery (snacks)
- Pears (snacks)
- Bananas (snacks)
- Melon (snacks
- 2 green bell peppers or red bell peppers (Mexican pie)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (Mexican pie)
- 1 Parsnips (Vegetable stock)
- 2 Leeks (Vegetable stock)
- 1 Celery root (Vegetable stock)
- 1 (10 ounce) package red pearl onions or white pearl onions (Vegetarian stew)
- 5 large sweet potatoes (Vegetarian stew)
- 1 head cauliflower (Vegetarian stew)
- 0.67 lbs (0.30 kg) ground chicken (Mexican pie)
- Sugar-free fruit yogurt (snacks)
- Cottage cheese (snacks)
- Eggs (breakfast, Mexican pie)
- Buttermilk (Mexican pie)
- 1 can low-salt tomato sauce (Mexican pie)
- Chicken bacon
- 1 pk chicken thighs (Chicken stew)
- 1 roasting chicken (Sunday)
- 1 pk chicken breasts (Chicken Provencal)
- Cheese (snacks)
- Dried minced onion (Taco mix)
- Chili powder (Taco mix)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) black olives (Chicken Provencal)