I was looking for a low-gi lunch salad that didin't use lettuce. I'm really not sure how well I did, but I do enjoy this salad.
The salad recipe originates on Recipezaar. I liked the idea of the salad, but not the corn or the jalapeno peppers. The sauce is very strong and not office-friendly. In future I'd cut the garlic down to 1 clove, and grate it instead of mincing. I'm currently serving the salad with an extra-virgin olive oil based Italian dressing, although it goes well with almost any vinagrette.
- Cutting board & knife.
- Measuring cups & spoons.
- Non-reactive salad bowl & salad tongs.
- Non-reactive mixing bowl and whisk.
|2 cups||cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces|
|2 cups||black beans, drained and rinsed|
|1||red bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1||chili, I used a cubanello, seeded and chopped|
|1/8 cup||cilantro, minced|
|1/8 cup||parsley, minced|
|4||green onions, chopped|
|12 ounces||artificial crab meat|
|1 clove||garlic, grated|
|1/4 teaspoon||black pepper, freshly ground|
|2 teaspoons||white wine vinegar|
|2 teaspoons||lime juice|
|3 tablespoons||extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup||sugar snap green beans, chopped|
- Mix together thecauliflower, black beans, red pepper, chili, cilantro, green onions, sugar snap peas, and crab meat.
- Add the cumin and pepper to the grated garlic.
- Mix into a paste.
- Add the vinegar, lime juice and water to garlic mixture.
- Mix well.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir well.