Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chicken fried rice (attempt #1)

Tonight was an attempt, and while it was easy, and did taste good, it was also really mild. We like things a little more spicy, so there will be an attempt #2.

I made about 6 cups of long grain brown rice (after cooking) in the rice steamer; it takes a bit longer, but I'm guaranteed to have good rice. In addition, I cooked the rice in homemade chicken broth - just to add a bit of flavour.

After the rice had cooled, I finely diced a teaspoon of garlic, two teaspoon of ginger, and 1/2 a very small onion (yes, we have no scallions). Then I gathered the soy sauce and the egg-replacement together around a hot pan with a bit of oil in the bottom. I already had 2 cups of diced Easy Asian Chicken leftovers, 1 cup of peas, and 1 cup of corn; both freshly thawed.

With the oil hot, I added the ginger, garlic and onion to the pan. I stirred the ingredients until the onions were just starting to become opaque and the garlic was fragrant. Then I took the rice and carefully dribbled it into the pan, a bit at a time; being careful to break up clumps as they occurred. Once all in and well mixed with the ginger, garlic and onion, I mounded the rice up and made a dent in the middle. Into this I poured two lightly-beaten eggs. I then stirred the rice to get the eggs to mix well as they cooked.

I added the chicken, peas and corn, and finely two tablespoons of soy sauce. I mixed again until the rice changed color, and served it hot.

It was a bit bland. I don't want to add more soy sauce (as I'm trying to watch my salt intake), so next time I'll try the Weight Watcher's version of this recipe.

Original recipe by Mark Bittman.

Fried rice with egg (modification - Chicken fried rice with Peas and Corn)
Taken from How To Cook Everything, p212. Lightly modified.
Ingredients
3 tablespoonspeanut (preferred) or other oil
1 teaspoongarlic, minced
1 teaspoonginger, fresh peeled & minced
2 tablespoonsscallions, chopped
3-4 cupsrice, cooked
2eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoonssoy sauce

salt and ground pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Place the oil in a large skillet, and turn the heat to high
  2. Once hot (about a minute later), add the garlic, ginger and scallion and cook, stiring constantly, for a minute
  3. Turn the heat down and add the rice,a bit at a time, elimanting lumps
  4. Stir frequently for about 3 minutes to mix well
  5. Mound the rice and make a hole in the mound.
  6. Pour the eggs into the hole.
  7. Stir slowly to scramble the eggs and mix them into the rice
    Add the soy sauce, chicken, and thawed vegetables.
  8. Stir to mix.
  9. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment